A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

-Proverbs 31:10-11,30

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Baby Quilt

AAAHHHH!!!! My friend just had a baby!!! Which means I am so excited I can hardly stand it. It also means that I have been working on stuff for a while that I can show you now!!!

Quite a while ago, I was perusing through blogs and came across See Kate Sew's post about a hexagon tutorial.
Image: See Kate Sew

Now, I've never been a big fan of hand sewing (as you might know) but I was trying to challenge myself. For some reason, this tutorial really just had me inspired. After deciding I had enough fabric in my stash to attempt such a feet, I decided to make a Puffed Hexagon Baby Quilt sewn completely by hand.

Deep breath.

I did it.
Ok, all except for 2 colors because I was just too excited to wait.

TADA!

I was really happy with the way it turned out. This was the first time I had (mostly) hand-sewn an entire project, so my corners don't match up perfectly and my fabric puckers.


I used the exact same fabric on the front and the back (although my genius husband told me that I should have done the top multi-colored and the bottom solid. duh!
After I sewed 5 sides of each hexagon (right sides facing), I turned the piece right side out and added a handful of poly fill. Oh, and I should probably mention that I made my hexagons big. Like 4.5 inches from corner to corner, big.



The underside of the quilt is in the bottom picture. You can see the stitching I used to sew each piece together once it had been stuffed. I'm not sure if this was the best way. I tried to do a hidden stitch, but it wasn't that easy. Any suggestions for a cleaner look?


All in all, I love the finished project. It took quite a long time to finish, however, and it was hard for me to motivate myself to work on it. I might attempt it again in the future if I have lots of time to sew by hand.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks for stopping by!!!

3 comments:

  1. AMAZING! I am not a quilter, but have so much appreciation for it. This takes a lot of talent. This is awesome! Thanks for linking up and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell this took a ton of time and talent. Great job! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I love it. Handsewing hexes has to take forever! and I can't imagine adding the puffiness to it made the project any simpler at all. Great work. As for sewing them together, could you have just used a blind stitch (like the binding tutorial here: http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2009/05/finishing-quilt-tutorial.html towards the bottom of the post, used to finish the binding)? I'm not quite sure exactly how the hex pieces go together, so I can't tell for sure, but it seems like it might work. Either way, though, your friend is lucky to have you, that's beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...